What is the IHSS (In-Home Supportive Services) Program?


The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program pays for the care of your disabled child or adult so they can remain safely in your own home. Disabled children of any age may also receive IHSS.  IHSS is considered an alternative to out-of-home care such as nursing homes or board and care facilities.  IHSS also helps mothers be able to stay home to take care of their disabled child instead of having to seek out child care or nursing care while they are working.

Disabled children under the age of 18 and are Regional Center clients who qualify for “Institutional Deeming” under the HCBS waiver are eligible to the IHSS Personal Care Services Program (PCSP) when residing in their parents’ home.  You can contact your Regional Center case worker to file this form.  You must than apply for Medi-cal.  Once you are on Medi-cal you are than eligible for IHSS services.

What services are offered?

In order to receive funding, the following services are authorized through IHSS:

Household chores, such as house-cleaning, changing bed linen, laundry, meal preparation, meal clean-up, food shopping, and errands

Personal care services, such as non-medical assistance with respiration, bowel and bladder care, feeding, bathing, grooming, dressing, assistance with ambulation, help on and out of bed, assistance with medications and prosthesis care.

Accompaniment to medical appointments

Protective supervision

Paramedical services

How does the program work?

Parent(s) income and resources are exempt.  Eligibility depends upon the child or adults level of need.

The child or adult can receive up to the 283 hour PCSP maximum.

Ancillary services (meal preparation, laundry, shopping, and domestic services) cannot be provided separately from personal care services.

As of January 1, 2006 the Provider can be the parent or another individual.   Therefore, a mom or dad can be the IHSS provider as long as they are not working while the child or adult is not at school or work program.

The Provider may provide IHSS services while the parent(s) are in the home.

Applications for IHSS are made by telephone.  A County Social Worker will then interview you at your home to determine your child’s eligibility and need for IHSS. Based on your child’s ability to safely perform the tasks mentioned above, the Social Worker will assess the types of IHSS services your child needs and authorize an amount of time for each one. This assessment of need includes information given by you and, if appropriate, by your child or adult son or daughter, friends, physician or other health care practitioner.

You will be notified if IHSS has been approves or denied. If denied, you will be notified of the reason for denial. If approved, you will be notified of the services and how many hours per month have been authorized for you.

Leave a Comment